Forum

Liffey Descent Forum

Liffey Descent Race Party
Last Post 9/17/2010 12:44 AM by Swimmer. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
Author Messages
Island Hopper

--
9/8/2010 1:17 AM
Another terrific Race - well done race organisers and as always massive thank you to rescuers - especially rob on templemills - what was that all about???? - simple little weir and i decide to check out how hard the rocks are - I discovered the rocks are very hard and if hit give massive bruises!!!!!

My only dissapointment was the race party. The venue did not work as well as the Arck. To be honest there was nothing about it that said we were in the after party of such a significant race. Nothing said or mentioned about the liffey descent - noone on the door and we had to ask if we were in the right place. The flood was minimal - one plate of finger food for 10 people and definitly not worth the 100 euro our table paid to be there!!!! The absence of the band was also greatly missed. Definitly not worth the 10 euro ticket. The turn out was at least a quarter or third to previous years and the atmospher was similar to that of any other pub. And to top it off, being in center of town meant 40 euro taxi each way and it finished at 12.40. Everyone i spoke to were saying similar so might be worth considering what worked in previous years and what did not work this year.

As for the race - WOWWWWW bloody bril as always, the atmosphere on and off the water was second to know, the meal after the race was terrific and organisation smooth. Not to mention the fact the Girls wiped the floor with their times - GO GIRLS GO

Roll on next year
chrisc

--
9/8/2010 6:05 PM
The food at the after race party was minimal due to the fact that the venue was given free of charge, and the food was just thrown by the harbour master bar so that the party would be held there, this is also why there was no band just a in house d,j. there was no need to buy a party ticket as the party was free, thats why there was no tickets asked for on the door, it was just extra profit for i,c,u,
kayak2

--
9/9/2010 2:40 AM
Have to agree the race organisation was as always second to none. Have to admit I never noticed the rescue but as those of you who needed it said it was great then I`m sure it was:-)
Now on to the party. A big anticlimax after such a great day. A few bites of food to give a hunger, Very bad D.J., early finish which given the atmosphere there maynot have been a bad thing.
Don`t try to fix it if it aint broke. The Ark has always been great,take note n get back there next year, please.
Euge

--
9/10/2010 5:54 PM
I don't mind contributing to the ICU, but i think they need to be a bit more up front. I paid for two tickets and the wife is vegetarian, so needless to say, no food for her. Starting to feel mugged.
Kayaker

--
9/12/2010 5:33 PM
Much rather the venue this year. HATED the arc - found it so out of the way - expensive to get to and no alternative options. The harbour master was much more central, a smaller vneue created a better buzz and thought the DJ was great. Paying for a ticket when anyon could have got in for free was a bit annoying - but I reckon the numbers were well down on the previous years was that people thought it was back out in the arc and had no interest in going there yet again.
happy when wet

--
9/13/2010 4:14 PM
the arc bar would be the best place for the party, as it was for the past number of years, most of the people that participate in the liffey descent are not from Dublin city center, and have to stay in Dublin with kayaks on roof bars or in trailers, that is why the clarion hotel is so Handy and safe,if the party was to stay in the center of the city the chance of having a kayak in the morning is very slim plus paying a very high cost for a hotel in the city center is there even car parks that can take k1s,k2s sea kayaks in them, i have done the liffey decent now for the past five years and i feel that if the after race party is moved in to the city center its going to be my last year doing it as it is costly enough to pay for a hotel without the extra cost of taxis was very hungry leaving the party the last night must of been the over spiced chicken wing
kND

--
9/16/2010 11:02 AM
Well done to the Organisers the Party was 100 times better than in the ARC City centre suits most people as there is plenty of Public transport, PLease do not go back to the Arc, and yes a band would be great, Habour master is a cool venue, i was speaking with one the guys who organised it and he told me that the feed abck from last year was to move it into town
Swimmer

--
9/17/2010 12:44 AM
we come to the liffey descent every year with anything from 25-40 people - all of whom loved the ark - and everyone i spoke too actually said last years was one of the best parties ever - it had it all - the fun atmosphere great food and lots of chat and pics on view about the liffey/ it even had an alternative disco upstairs for anyone who wished - mind you - the band were terrific and it was the 50th, but the previous years were also terrific. However this years was a total disaster - no atmospher, no fun, nothing about the liffey and food was minimal!!! oh and DJ was really poor - there was more jumping from the DJ's music than was on the dance floor
we always stay in hotel off M50 - for similar reasons to those mentioned above - safe parking, cheaper accomodation and very easy route to and fro the liffey, also handy for the Arc . Staying in town center is not a possibility and certaintly would stop us from going again. We already travel over hundered miles to take part in this event - the last thing we needed was to pay another 100 quid to get to and fro a party which we all paid 10 euro each for - and sitting beside people who did not have to pay just reinforced how poor the ethos of this was and emphasised even more how poor the venue, food and music was this year - certaintly something to consider would be to refund all those who puchased tickets .

The atmospher in the harbour master was really poor to say the least - we passed 3 pubs on way to harbour master and they had alot more atmosphere.

Like Happy when wet said, the majority of paddlers in the liffey descent are not from the city and already travelled long distances. The party is the addon - which usually compliments the weekend perfectly - this year the party killed it all - no atmosphere anywhere

Bring back the arck
Add Reply

Quick Reply
toggle
  Username:
Subject:
Body:
Security Code:
CAPTCHA image
Enter the code shown above in the box below.